116-Year-Old Farmhouse Destroyed in New Waverly Fire

Written by Larry Crippen. Posted in Local News, News

Tagged: , , , , ,

116-Year-Old Farmhouse Destroyed in New Waverly Fire

Published on January 07, 2014 by Larry Crippen

New Waverly Firefighters responded just before 1 PM Monday to a house fire on Marion Lane, just South of the City. Within five minutes of the initial 9-1-1 call, the first crews were on the scene and reported heavy fire and smoke from a one-story home. Three Engines and a Tanker responded from New Waverly, assisted by crews from Huntsville and North Montgomery County.

Firefighters laid large diameter hose down the driveway and established a rural water supply operation, but the wind quickly drove the fire into the rear of the home and the attic, destroying the 116-year-old restored farmhouse. The fire started on the rear porch near where a heat lamp was in use to provide warmth for the owner’s pets. A brisk north wind and freezing temperatures hampered firefighting efforts.

There were no injuries, but several family pets were lost to the fire.

No Comments

There are currently no comments on 116-Year-Old Farmhouse Destroyed in New Waverly Fire. Perhaps you would like to add one of your own?

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.