Home Fire Safety

Written by Larry Crippen. Posted in Local News, News

Tagged: , , , , ,

Home Fire Safety

Published on December 07, 2012 by Larry Crippen

As temperatures fall over the coming days, residents will be firing up their home’s heating appliances– many for the first time this year. Home heating fires often occur at the worst possible time, breaking out while our families are asleep. The number one safety recommendation is to first and foremost have working smoke detectors throughout the home, especially in all sleeping areas. Having a working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire.

New Waverly Firefighters have responded to two recent fires caused by space heaters, with the latest occurring Wednesday afternoon. This fire broke out just after 5 PM in the Waverly Village Apartments located on Tafelski Road.  Clothes hung too close to an operating space heater caught fire and quickly began filling the home with deadly smoke and toxic gases.

A quick thinking resident shut the door to the room where the fire started, temporarily confining it, and dialed 911. The first New Waverly units were on the scene in only a couple of minutes and were able to keep the fire from spreading to other rooms.  The damage was minor in this case, but this fire could have been a lot more dangerous if it had broken out in the middle of the night.

The leading factor in the U-S contributing to home heating fires and deaths was heating equipment too close to things that can burn.

No Comments

There are currently no comments on Home Fire Safety. Perhaps you would like to add one of your own?

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.